Blackboard assignments can be used for group assignments or where a single assessment requires large or multiple files to be submitted. In most cases where an essay or report forms the assessment, Turnitin should be used.
The Blackboard Assignment tool allows students to upload documents to the system, which can then be marked online.
When using the Blackboard Assignment it is essential to only use one of the recommended browsers (Chrome or Firefox). Documents should not be submitted while still open in Microsoft Word or PowerPoint as this can result in a failed upload. Students are encouraged to check their submission receipt and the submitted files prior to the final deadline to ensure that the upload has completed successfully.
- Navigate to the Assessment page
- Click on the Assessments button
- Choose Assignment
- In the Name and Color field, enter a title for the assignment
- Add Instructions to provide additional information to the students
- Set the Due Date and time if required
- In the Grading section enter how many points will be available in the Points Possible field for marking (the standard UW grading schema uses 19 points)
- Select the rubric if you are using one
- Once selected, set the Show Rubric to Students option to Yes (With Rubric Scores):
- In Submission Details choose whether this will be a group or individual submission. Set the number of attempts to at least 2 multiple attempts. If you have set a due date and this has expired, any new attempts will be accepted but highlighted as late
- In Grading Options, select Enable Anonymous Grading if required. Then choose when anonymity will be disabled - either on a specific date, or when all submissions have been graded
- In Display of Grades, make sure the Primary field is set to use the UW Grading Schema 0-19 points if this is a summative assignment. Ensure that both Include in Grade Center grading calculations and Show to students in My Grades are left unticked:
- In Availability, tick Make the Assignment Available to enable students to view and submit their work. Limiting availability by date is not recommended. Click Submit to save all settings